Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Oakwood Cemetery (Hell's gate)


Oakwood Cemetery, Spartanburg SC.

Oakwood Cemetery, nick named Hell's gate, is one of South Carolina's oldest and largest cemeteries, it dates back to the 1600's if I am thinking right. This cemetery has a reputation for being one of the most haunted places in SC, it is home to a number of ghosts and paranormal activities, it is also home to satanic rituals. There is a place in the back of the graveyard down a hill named Potters Field, where it is said that people perform satanic rituals during the witching hour. How ever, it is also said if you see them you should not go down there or around them, you also should not go alone, they do not take kindly to strangers and have even chased and tried to hurt the people passing through. Many people apparently disturb the grave sites as well and have even dug bodies up and have stolen skulls, many people have reported that when they passed through they have seen people in Potter's field with skulls.

This cemetery is close to Converse College and has been known as a place for those looking to add a little bit of excitement to their lives. The oldest part of the cemetery is said to be the most haunted which according to others, seems to be the children's graveyard or the part where the poorest people were buried.  Many have mentioned having fully charged cell phones and cameras completely die out, even experienced ghost hunters that have come to this area have claimed their equipment was drained of power by being in the cemetery only for a short while. Others have claimed to have been touched, seen orbs, felt cold spots and drops of temperature in a lot of spots, seen shadows, many have claimed that there is something out there that waits and watches them from some unseen vantage point, heard children laughing and singing, some have even said to have seen the ghosts of children playing among the tombstones.

The most noticeable of all though seems to be the spirit of a young boy who was said to have fallen to his death off the hill by Potter's field while his mother was by another grave. Many have reported this little boy coming up to them with a ball in his hands asking them to play with him before he fades away. A lot of people have reported other children coming up to them and asking them to play as well. There is a lot of well known politicians and judges buried in this cemetery as well, but there is also a lot of children and the poor buried there.

This place seems to hold a very eerie feeling and even a sad feeling to others who have been there, I myself have been to this place, but like I said, I wouldn't recommend going there alone if you choose to walk through, not only because of the spirits, but because of the living.

7 comments:

  1. white wiccan here there is a tunnel that people tell me about but i can never find it
    can someone tell me where the tunnels are at hells gate my ancistrys left a book there for me and its the most powerfulest spellbook that no one can touch outside of the wican bloodline family mine it is used for good no evil is allowed to touch it

    ReplyDelete
  2. white wiccan here there is a tunnel that people tell me about but i can never find it
    can someone tell me where the tunnels are at hells gate my ancistrys left a book there for me and its the most powerfulest spellbook that no one can touch outside of the wican bloodline family mine it is used for good no evil is allowed to touch it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you will ever see this, but I have been there quite a few times.. I can say, its not haunted. My friends and I have been there for hours on end, exploring the area. We found what we think is the Witch Tunnel, and boy.. if it is, its perfect for anyone that wants to do something in the middle of a city, away from anyone. It has lots of Brush around it, theres a creek that flows through it, and its under a Railroad, that way... a train could cover up any noises there. If you go back behind the Potters Field and follow the trail, you'll find the Railroad about 40 feet back, go left beside the Track until you find yourself at a large depression with lots of brush and trees around a creek, careful if you go down there, if you go over the Lip of the tunnel, you WILL fall down a 20- 30 foot drop into a foot of water, youll break your legs. Be sure to go down the side. And guy above my comment... if the tunnel I found is it, you won't find your spellbook, it would be in ruins. Good luck out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have stumbled upon this tonight I've been reading it and I know for a fact that the boy with the ball is there I've seen him I've had a picture of him it's been a few years I don't have that phone anymore I also know that my phone has drained out of battery has turned pink and blue and fell to the ground I also took a picture of something that look like a bar like and it was glowing I've had orbs even my daughter a small age we went walking the daylight she said Mommy we can't be down here there's too many little kids that's my daughter she was about two at the time so we left

      Delete
    2. I forgot about this too I also remember the first time I've been there I had taken a picture since my friend in Pennsylvania and he said to me that he wasn't worried about the glow around the tree that I had taken a picture of he said he was worried about the soldier standing next to it I found not to be really interesting I had to get off the phone with him and go check it out and sure enough thanks for letting me share enjoy

      Delete